Optimising Profile Pages for Search Engines
Here at hipages, we frequently get asked by our tradespeople on how to improve their hipages profile visibility on search engines. This blog post will cover different methods on optimising profile pages to improve their search engine visibility.
One very important thing search engines love (especially Google!) is unique content. The content body of a hipages profile page should be unique and completely different to what is written on a tradesperson’s website. Ultimately, the content contained within a profile page should not be found elsewhere on the internet. This can be checked very easily by copy and pasting a snippet of text from a hipages profile page into Google or your favourite search engine.
The above example shows that the WaterTech Plumbing Services profile page does not contain unique content at all because the same content can be found on other websites. The first step here is to ensure all content on the hipages profile page is unique! This can be accomplished by adding unique snippets of text to the profile page not found elsewhere or simply rewriting the entire profile from scratch.
Examples of unique snippets of text:
- Special offers
- News regarding the business
Headline Containing a Unique Value Proposition
The default headline on a profile page is also used as the page’s Meta Description. The Meta Description is what describes the profile page to search engines. Searchers look and read the Meta Description before clicking on a search result, so it is important the headline is unique and compelling as it will have a drastic effect on whether or not someone will click through and visit the page! The purpose of the Meta Description is to convince and persuade the searcher to click through onto the website, or in this instance the profile page.
Ensure the following criteria are met when writing a headline:
- The headline should contain a unique value proposition about the business. What makes the business stand out compared to others? Let users and searchers know this!
- Include at least one keyword mention of the business’ primary service(s). If they specialise in plumbing, then ensure “Plumbing” or “Plumber” keyword(s) are mentioned within the Meta Description
- Keep it under 155 characters to prevent search engines from creating their own Meta Descriptions or truncating them within search engine results pages (SERPs)
Keyword Rich Content Body
Search engines love content. The more content there is on the profile page, the more ways searchers can find profile pages, because words are keywords! Words expose profile pages to search engines so the more words available to search engines the more ways profile pages can be found.
Content should be comprehensive, useful and relevant to all the services categories the business has to offer. Singular mentions of keywords are no longer sufficient with today’s search engine ranking algorithms. Overuse of keywords can negatively impact rankings, use them as they are important, but use them accordingly (within moderation). There is no need to “shout” at search engines any longer to rank for search terms.
Example of a low content profile page: http://www.homeimprovementpages.com.au/connect/premiumplumbing/service/35159
The content here for the Premium Plumbing profile page is very thin. The content body only contains a headline and three bullet points.
Example of a rich content profile page: http://www.homeimprovementpages.com.au/connect/foxmowing/
Content ideas for profile pages:
- How long has the business been operating?
- Include details about the business history
- Describe what the business does, how they do it etc
- Describe all of the business’ service categories or services offered with a paragraph for each. Each paragraph should mention the service category name at least once
- Anything else that may be of interest to potential customers
If you are a hipages tradesperson reading this blog post, please get in touch with your Account Manager if you wish to make any changes to your profile pages. Our Account Managers are more than willing to help with changes or if you need some help with content creation ideas.